One of the first things a new pope hears is, ‘Holy Father, it’s always done this way.’
In his first 24 hours in office, Pope Francis has already given indications that he may not be intimidated by those words, as he creates his own style of being pope.
That was clear from the moment he put on his papal robes, donning the simple white cassock but declining to wear the ermine-trimmed red cape known as the mozzetta, which was left hanging on the wardrobe in the Room of Tears.
To Vatican officials who offered him an elaborate gold pectoral cross to wear around the neck, he said he’d prefer to keep his very simple cross that he’s worn as a bishop. He accepted the congratulations of cardinals not seated on a traditional throne-like chair, but standing up and greeting them one by one.
After his blessing last night to the crowd in St. Peter’s Square and to the world, Vatican aides told the pope a limousine was waiting to take him to his temporary quarters in the Vatican’s residence building. The new pope said he’d rather take the bus back with the cardinals – and he did.
This morning, the pope’s first act was to leave the Vatican for an impromptu visit to the Basilica of Saint Mary Major in central Rome. No doubt someone told him: ‘But Holy Father, we need time to plan these visits very carefully.’ He wisely didn’t listen. Yes, his presence snarled traffic and caused a major stir, but the Romans loved it.
Instead of taking the main car in the papal fleet, a Mercedes with the ‘SCV 1’ license plate, he rode in a more modest sedan.
On the way inside the basilica, he stopped to wave to high school students across the street. After praying before a popular icon of Mary, he told confessors at the church to ‘be merciful, the souls of the faithful need your mercy.’
Then he stopped personally at a clerical guest house where he had been staying in recent days, a few steps from Piazza Navona, to pick up his suitcases and ‘pay his bill,’ as he told cardinals the night before. One can presume his Vatican handlers offered to send someone else on this humdrum task, but Pope Francis did it his way."
- thatcoloradosunrise likes this
- overshootingtheatmosphere reblogged this from etverbumcarofactumest
- manelg likes this
- saikyougutsy reblogged this from acatholicvibe
- meaganlewis42 reblogged this from heartinheaven
- gwendumbledore reblogged this from saintofthe21stcentury
- gwendumbledore likes this
- beautifulbattlescars likes this
- llauraelizabeth likes this
- heartinheaven reblogged this from saintofthe21stcentury
- sicutcervus reblogged this from saintofthe21stcentury
- saintofthe21stcentury reblogged this from sermoveritas
- jibber-jabber-balderdash reblogged this from bullheadedness
- bullheadedness reblogged this from newintheangelcity
- kleptonancydrew likes this
- justhannahh reblogged this from hero-onahistorybookpage
- asavagegarden likes this
- withperfectclarity likes this
- birthfetus reblogged this from mundacormeum
- birthfetus likes this
- iamjanebennet reblogged this from mundacormeum
- daughterofherfather likes this
- beccyblogs likes this
- spacew0man likes this
- jordiecashier likes this
- awakeohsleeper likes this
- gotthatglitteronmyeyes reblogged this from the-waiting-the-rejoicing
- jazmenechanese likes this
- delightfully-breanne likes this
- ep0nine likes this
- gualdijuiciosa likes this
- imapolarbearwhat likes this
- inspirationfortomorrow likes this
- simplyemuhlee reblogged this from its-elizabeth
- quotidianthoughts reblogged this from joshtheyipper
- untothehills likes this
- onfireforgod likes this
- lentenplan likes this
- gypsyjae reblogged this from quisutdeus7
- for-the-love-of-christ reblogged this from acatholicrose
- quisutdeus7 reblogged this from icecreamfilling
- quisutdeus7 likes this
- its-elizabeth likes this
- its-elizabeth reblogged this from salvus-per-gratiam
- thehomelessmonk likes this
- prolifecatholic139 reblogged this from sermoveritas
- indifferentomens likes this
- savior-save-me reblogged this from acatholicrose
- anotherbrokenmess likes this